Tomato Dates Chutney2018-06-29
- Servings : 10
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 15m
Tomato Dates Chutney is a special recipe from Bengali cuisine. A very easy to make dish and detailed recipe is given below.
- Fennel seeds
- Fenugreek seeds
- Cumin seeds
- Mustard seeds or Radhuni seeds
- Nigella seeds
Panch Phoron is a special blend of five whole spices, which are mentioned above. Mix all these spices 1/2 teaspoon each. Or use same quantity of each spice, as needed for the dish.
Step 2 – Preparing chutney
- Tomato – 250 gms (roughly chopped)
- Dates – 7 to 8 nos (pitted, thin long slices)
- Raisins – 1/4 cup
- Cashew nuts – 1/3 cup
- Aam pappad (mango pulp candy) – 1/3 cup
- sugar – 1 cup
- Tamarind pulp – 1/4 of a lime size (soaked in 1 tbsp water)
- Salt – as needed
- Bay leaf – 1 no
- Dried red chilli – 2 to 3 nos
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Panch phoron – 1 tbsp (made in step 1)
- Mustard oil – 1 to 2 tbsp
Add oil to the heated pan. When the oil is hot, add one tbsp of panch phoron. When it starts to pop, add bay leaf and dried red chillies. Stir for about 10 secs. Add tomatoes, salt and turmeric powder. Cover and cook over medium flame until tomatoes turn mushy. Add sugar and stir to melt it. Now add tamarind pulp, raisins, dates, aam pappad, cashew nuts and bring to boil. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, the gravy will start to thicken by then. While the mix is still thin, transfer to a container, as it will thicken while cooling. The chutney is ready and enjoy it!!
Refer detailed step by step cooking video below.
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 people rated this recipe